Mobility work provides significant health and wellness benefits and doing mobility regularly can help improve overall health and fitness status. However, in case you’re not convinced, I have compiled our list of the top ten reasons you should be doing mobility and/or going to mobility class.
1. By doing mobility, the body becomes prepared for working out so performance and safety become optimized, allowing for more weight to be lifted over a longer period of time.
2. Mobility can improve body positioning when training, thus limiting aches, pains, and uncomfortable spinal situations.
3. If an injury has already been obtained, mobility helps assists in faster recovery and limiting the potential for re-injury.
4. Mobility provides muscular freedom from tissue adhesions. These adhesions occur because of trauma, or injuries throughout life. However, without myofacial release – what happens during mobility exercises – muscles remain bound and restricted from their normal range of motion.
5. Mobility work can assist in reducing the severity of delayed onset muscular soreness (DOMS) that comes post-workout.
6. Mobility work helps improve your overall flexibility.
7. Consistent mobility practice improves postioning within movements, which optimize safety.
8. Mobility improves proprioception. This includes the ability to sense the position and movement of the limbs and trunk. Enhanced proprioception leads to safer movement and a healthier lifestyle.
9. Suggested to assist in relieving stress and anxiety.
10. When done properly, longer mobility sessions have been shown to provide similar physiological adaptations to aerobic training.
Coach Dan Jackson